Karachi man infected by deadly Naegleria Fowleri via tap water

A 38-year-old man with a Naegleria Fowleri infection was admitted to the intensive care unit at Ziauddin Hospital in Karachi on Tuesday. There have been seven reports of Naegleria infections in the city this year. The report prepared by the Regional Disease Surveillance and Response Unit stated piped water as the main risk factor. Moreover, Naegleria Fowleri is commonly known as the “brain-eating amoeba.”

Read more: Taliban support women’s rights, free media under Islamic law

The WHO recommends assessing chlorine levels at all water reservoirs in the city and the chlorination process as soon as possible. The report recommends that all reservoirs, overhead tanks, pumping stations, and hydrants be kept clean regularly.

Source: Dawn