A woman died while taking part in a cake-eating competition to celebrate Australia Day, local media reported. Public broadcaster ABC reported the 60-year-old had a seizure after she “shovelled a lamington into her mouth”. The woman was rushed to hospital in the coastal town of Hervey Bay but later died. She was a contestant in the Beach House Hotel’s annual Australia Day lamington and meat pie eating contest.
Lamingtons, a traditional Australian dessert, are cube-shaped sponge cakes dipped in chocolate and covered in grated coconut.