Not always a good idea to eat raw fish, Sashimi gives woman live worm in tonsil

A woman in Japan visiting the doctor with an irritated throat was told that a worm was living inside her tonsil. Upon examination medics identified a black worm — which was 38 millimeters (1.5 inches) long and still moving — inside the woman’s left tonsil and removed the creature using tweezers. The 25-year-old had consumed assorted sashimi five days before arriving at the hospital.

DNA testing on the worm identified it as a fourth-stage larva of “Pseudoterranova azaras,” a parasitic roundworm. The parasite infects the stomach after a host has consumed larvae in raw or undercooked marine fish.

Source: CNN